Wednesday 13 May 2009

Like the back end of a bus??

On Sunday my husband suggested a stroll down to the beach and a pub lunch. Lovely! Till I discovered that one of the reasons he had had such an idea was the presence of an old London bus on the esplanade - one of his interests.....

So hubby goes off to investigate bus and talk sprockets and accumulators (or some such) with its owner, leaving me standing by the bus, watching a regatta on the beach opposite and soaking up the sun.

Along comes one of those men you know instinctively is a) a bus spotter b) still living with his mum even though he's about 45. I would take bets on the fact that his backpack contained a packed lunch she'd made him, a spare jumper she insisted he bring and a pac-a-mac. Oh, and a notebook for taking bus numbers and spare camera.

His actual camera was slung round his neck and poised for action as he approached.
presumably he thought I suspected him of trying to take a sneaky photo of me, because on noticing me standing there he assured me:

'Don't worry love - I'm only interested in the bus.'

I guess I should have been devastated that my womanly charms had been spurned in favour of a vehicle which is older than me - although if preserved vehicles generally are anything to go by, it would have had considerable reconstructive surgery, a route down which I have never felt the need to travel....

....but actually, looking at him, I thought 'Yes - you probably are....'

No comments:

Post a Comment